Tuesday, February 11, 2014

And now it looks like this

Dresser Re-do with ASCP in Cream




I'd been following a lot of posts on Pinterest about painting furniture with Annie Sloan chalk paint, and I decided to try it out.  I had a ratty old dresser in my basement that was starting to get all mildew-y, and I had already decided to just throw it out, but then I thought, "Hey, why not try painting this beast?  If it doesn't work out, no loss...."


The dresser was really dirty looking, but it had nice lines...



And nice hardware...



Inside the drawers were all lined with old contact paper.  I stripped the linings out and, luckily, found that the insides of the drawers were pristine.  I also discovered that this was a piece that had been refinished previously, so no worries about ruining some kind of valuable heirloom.  (Valuable, mildew-y, basement heirloom.  Hey, it happens.)



According to my extensive research (i.e., looking at a bunch of smart people's posts on Pinterest,) I'm supposed to be able paint anything in the free world using Annie Sloan chalk paint, without any elaborate prep work, and in only one or two coats.  I did clean up the outside of the dresser using a solution of warm water, Dawn detergent and a splash of Clorox.  But once dried, I just started painting.  I did not prime, I did not sand, I just dipped my little natural-bristle brush in some ASCP Cream and started painting away.



I didn't even bother patching up dings and divots because I thought they just added charm and authenticity.  (Also I am lazy.)



The whole process was fun and fast.  Honestly, I didn't bother with a second coat because the first one seemed to do the trick.

After the paint was dry, I used sandpaper to clean off the brassy hardware and to lightly distress the edges and around drawer pulls -- any place I imagined such a piece would have normal wear.   (If you are interested in the specifics about the type or grit of sandpaper I used, let me clarify:  I used the kind I found in my basement.)





Once I had achieved the desired effect, I applied a thin layer of Annie Sloan's Clear Wax to the entire piece using a natural bristle wax brush.   Finally I installed some vintage-looking knobs I found at Home Depot.



Below is my finished project, which I have deployed in my "Nan Cave" (sewing room) to hold all my craft supplies (wine bottles.)  (Okay, really craft supplies.)  Considering it all began with a piece of junk from my basement that I was going to throw away... and considering it was my first try using a product I had only read about...



I am pretty darned pleased!  In fact, I am in love with this piece.  My first and my favorite.  And just a few months later, it looks like this:







10 comments:

  1. Great work! Ilovetaking old stuff and fixing them up. Pinned to Furniture board. Linda @Crafts a la mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! For a first project, I was very pleased.

      Delete
  2. Pinning to I Think I'll Paint It board as I love rustic white always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great for your first time using that paint. It looks lovely in yellow. Thanks for sharing at Friday's Furniture Fix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I'm a recent chalk paint convert myself, and now I understand why people love it. Your dresser got a brand new life, and I love those little knobs. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have chalk-painted several pieces since, and have never been disappointed in the results.

      Delete
  5. That's excellent---I love it! Yeah, I've been reading about chalk paint forever but the thought of stripping...sanding...ugh. But hey, if none of that is needed then Woo HOO! I'm on board. ;) Thanks for linking up at Vintage Show and Tell. I'll have the new party up tonight!

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try it! I love, love, love it.

      And btw, I also love your Vintage Show and Tell party. Boy, do I have something to share with you this week! I'll be by later...

      Delete